Schools, teachers and parents focus on reading A LOT. But why? Why is reading so important? Here are the top ten reasons I can think of to encourage all of us to read often and read more.
• The more you read, the better at it you become, the more you enjoy it.
• Reading helps your brain to make new connections and work in different ways.
• Concentration is improved when you are focussed and sitting quietly- as you are when you are reading!
• We learn more about the world around us.
• Vocabulary improves as does grammar – models of sentence structure can be learned through reading.
• Imagination develops.
• Reading helps us to see perspectives other than our own.
• Being an able reader helps with learning in general, not just in school
• Being calm and relaxed is a part of the reading experience.
• Reading is fun!