Frequently Asked Questions
- What does IGB stand for?
The forerunner of the IGB Group was Ipoh Garden Berhad, formed in 1964. The initials of this company were used to make IGB. IGB Corporation Berhad is a renowned and highly respected leader in corporate initiatives and property development in Malaysia and beyond. IGB International School is owned and operated by Detik Harapan Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of IGB Corporation Berhad.
- Where is your school located?
IGBIS is ideally located in the north-west of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, adjacent to the Sierramas and Valencia communities in Sungai Buloh, Selangor. The school is only 14 kilometres from the centre of Kuala Lumpur. The area is well connected by the North Klang Valley Expressway (NKVE), LDP and MRR2, making it readily accessible from all parts of the city. Coming from Bangsar and Damansara will take approximately 20 minutes, and even less from the Mont Kiara or Desa Park City.
- Is the IB Diploma Programme recognised by universities?
The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is a challenging, two-year pre-university course leading to external examinations at the end of Grade 12. Through the DP, students gain rigorous and balanced academic preparation, an ability to draw on knowledge and understanding of various cultures, and the experience of learning how to think critically and apply what they have learned in different contexts and across disciplines.Recent studies on DP graduates in university confirm that they perform well and have significantly higher Grade Point Averages and higher graduation rates than students who did not complete the DP. Scores on IB assessments are also a significant predictor of successful performance in university.
- How can I contact the school?
The office number is +60 3 6145 4688. For enquiries, please send an email to email@example.com or come on a tour of our school and its facilities. You can also browse our website.
- What is the maximum capacity of your school?
The maximum capacity is approximately 1,200 students.
- What is the size of every class?
We limit the size of our classes to a maximum of 20 students. Younger students and IB Diploma Programme students are in classes with lower numbers.
- What languages do you offer?
We offer English, Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin and Spanish with the possibility of other languages if there is sufficient demand.
- Is there any English as a Second Language support?
Yes, we have English as a Second Language support for students who require it.
- What is the school year schedule?
We follow an international school calendar so our school year runs from August to June.
- Are all the teachers at IGBIS qualified?
The teachers were recruited worldwide for their expertise, commitment and international experience teaching the IB.
- What facilities does IGBIS offer?
• State of the art libraries for both Elementary and Secondary School
• 540-seat theatre
• Senior student study and career counselling centre
• Performance studios and practice rooms for music, drama and dance
• Visual art classrooms and studios
• Design technology workshops
• Food design technology labaratory
• Science laboratories
• Air-conditioned indoor gymnasium housing 3 full-size basketball courts
• Fitness and weight training centre
• Artificial turf football field
• 400m, 8-lane athletics track
• Tennis courts
• 50m Olympic swimming pool with the provision for electronic timing
• 25m swimming pool designed for learn-to-swim classes
• Parking for more than 500 vehicles
• Drop off and pick up area
• 24-hour CCTV surveillance
- Are the school facilities accessible to the community?
The facilities will be accessible to parents and potentially, to the wider community after school, on evenings, weekends and during school holidays. In future, it is intended that preference will be given to IGBIS parents. External use of the facilities will not interrupt the school operations.
- Do you have boarding facilities?
IGBIS is a day-school, hence no boarding facilities are available at this time but may be considered in the future.
- Are there any extra-curricular activities?
Based on our extensive facilities, IGBIS offers a wide variety of extra-curricular activities ensuring that students develop into well-rounded individuals.
- What are the security measures taken by the school?
Student pick up and drop off takes place within the school grounds. The school has CCTV monitoring and a staff of guards on campus at all times.
- Do you provide transportation for students?
Bus transportation accommodates areas determined by the locations of our families.
- What are the school hours?
The school hours are from 8:00am to 3:00pm. The school day is followed by extra-curricular activities until 4.00pm or 5.00pm.
- What are the school fees?
The school fees are on par with other top international schools in Malaysia. Please refer to the Fee Schedule on our website for the school fees and discount offers.
- How can I apply?
Details of the Application Process can be found at the Application Process page.
- What do the school tuition fees cover?
The school fees cover text book hire and a basic stationery pack. In the Elementary School, MacBooks and iPads will be available for classroom use as well as in the School Library (Information and Resource Centre).
- Are there any other miscellaneous charges?
Miscellaneous charges include school uniforms, meals, transportation, school camps, IB examination fees, personal computers and calculators. There are also additional costs for information technology and software support or additional support for English Language (if required for admission to IGBIS).