PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION ACT
IGB International School (“the School”) recognises its obligations under the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) 2010 which governs the collection, use and disclosure of personal data. This Personal Data Protection Policy informs you about the School’s policy and practices about data privacy matters, before you provide your personal data to the School. The word “You” or any derivation thereof, as used herein refers to the owner of the personal data, which includes both the student and the parent/legal guardian of the child. The personal data collected by the School includes all personal data provided in any document provided to us by you or other sources for the purpose of enquiry, enrolment and attendance at the School (“Purpose”).
The data that we may collect and process shall include the following:-
- Information that you provide by filling in forms required by the School from time to time for the Purpose;
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of the correspondence;
- Information that you provide to us or that we ascertain during your visit to the school.
Where applicable, and in relation to any personal data that may have been or may from time to time hereafter be provided by us and/or obtained independently by the School from other lawful sources (if any) in connection with the Purpose:-
- You hereby acknowledge, confirm and consent to us collecting, recording, holding, storing, using, dealing with, and otherwise processing such personal data, for any of the following purposes:-
- for our record-keeping in the ordinary course of our business;
- for execution of our duties and obligations in relation to the Purpose;
- to enable our compliance with any law, rule, regulation, by-law, order, guideline, directive, policy and such other requirements in force and as amended from time to time;
- You further acknowledge that information given is provided voluntarily and is necessary for the Purpose; and
- Where you provide any personal data for and on behalf of another, you covenant that you have obtained the consent of the data provider and that the personal data is given voluntarily, accurate and complete failing which you shall indemnify us against any claims from such data provider.
In connection with the Purpose, we are hereby permitted to disclose such personal data to the relevant authorities and/or subsidiaries and/or related companies and/or associate companies, clinics, insurers, advisers and such other persons as we may deem necessary.
SOURCE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Most, if not all, of your personal data was provided by you directly, either from the following sources or from other information you provided:
- Enquiry Form;
- Various types of Application or Registration Forms;
- Other School and/or support services related Request Forms; and
- Previous qualification – related documents and/or certificates.
In some instances, your personal data may have been obtained from external sources including, but not restricted to the following:
- Third parties such as previous educational institutions, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
- Third party service providers and any other future third parties in relation or incidental to the above;
- Personal data which is available in the public domain; and
- Personal data which may be collected from cookies through the use of the School’s website.
WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE PROCESS?
The School needs to collect and process your child’s and your personal data for various academic, educational and administrative purposes. Generally, the personal data that we collect and process, includes but is not restricted to:
- Identification number (NRIC)
- Passport number
- Contact numbers
- Personal email address
- Photo and images
- Student’s gender
- Date of birth
- Previous qualifications
- Parents’/guardians’ marital status
- Emergency contact person(s) details
- Billing-related information
If the personal data is necessary to initiate any matter with the School, and you refuse to provide the personal data to the School, then the School will not be able to proceed further with your matter.
SENSITIVE PERSONAL DATA
Some of the personal data that we collect and process may include what is defined as ‘sensitive personal data’ under the Act and these include, but are not restricted to:
- Records of misconduct and disciplinary action
- Records of criminal offence
- Family court orders
This sensitive information shall be treated carefully by the School and will only be used for specific purposes. It will not be released to a third party without your explicit consent unless it is necessary to protect your vital interests.
HOW DO WE USE OUR PERSONAL DATA?
The purpose for which personal data is collected and further processed includes, but is not restricted to the following:
- To process an application for admission;
- To manage and respond to enquiries;
- To maintain students’ personal details, academic and non-academic records;
- To facilitate internships, placement or work experience as well as co-curricular related activities and school events;
- To maintain a student/class register;
- To provide the relevant administrative support, counselling and guidance services;
- To manage the use of facilities such as the library, laboratories, etc.;
- To administer graduation and alumni related events;
- To administer tuition fee and other payments;
- To communicate with students about important announcements;
- To collect information for relevant local or international statutory authorities or exam boards;
- To contact student’s next of kin in the case of emergency;
- To comply with any regulatory, audit or security related requirements;
- To pursue/collect any sums in arrears from parents/guardians;
- To care for the medical needs of students;
- For all and any other ancillary purposes relating to our provision of service, e.g., the supply of computers, iPads, other forms of telecommunications and technology services; and
- Any other purposes related to the smooth operation of the School.
PROVISION OF INFORMATION
The provision of all information requested in the relevant forms of the School is mandatory, unless specified otherwise, in enabling us to process your application/request and offer our services to you.
Should you fail to provide the said information, the School may be unable to process your request and/or provide you with the relevant services.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
IGB International School will keep your personal data confidential unless you have given the written consent to such disclosure or it is within the ambit of permitted disclosures under prevailing laws/guidelines. The School may disclose your information to the categories of third parties as listed below (not restricted to):
- The Ministry of Education, other relevant government departments/agencies, statutory authorities and industry regulators;
- Malaysian Immigration Department and its appointed agencies;
- Foreign embassies and their appointed agencies;
- The student’s sponsors including his/her parents/guardians;
- Third parties that provide internships or attachment placements;
- Professional or accreditation bodies;
- Examination boards; and
- Third parties appointed by IGB International School to provide services to the School, such as auditors, lawyers, contractors, printing companies, travel agencies, training organisers and insurance companies.
RIGHT TO ACCESS AND DATA SUBJECT’S OBLIGATION
You have the right to access and correct your personal information held by the School under the Act. We will attempt to keep your records complete, accurate and up-to-date. If you have any reason to believe that your records with us are inaccurate, incomplete or not updated, please notify the School in a timely manner. If you wish to request access to, or to correct data held by the School, or withdraw your consent to the data processing/use of your personal data by us, please forward your request to the Admissions department at :
(603) 6145 4688 (Telephone)
(603) 6145 4600 (Facsimile)
IGB International School, reserves the right to charge you an administrative fee for processing any data access request.
Although, we only process your personal data for the purposes stated above, in the event that your personal data is being processed for other purposes (with your consent), you have the right to request us to stop such processing. You may exercise this right by contacting the School through the aforementioned contact person. However, if you choose to not provide and/or fail to supply us with such personal data (and/or decide to not give us consent to process your personal data, including explicit consent for sensitive personal data), we will not be able to perform the contract of enrolment or process your application for enrolment with us. Accordingly, if you decide not to provide the mandatory information to us, it may necessarily mean that the Contract of Enrolment may have to be terminated or that an offer of a place of enrolment will not be made.
Any request to exercise your rights shall be administered as per the Act. Please be informed that pursuant to the Act, your request may be rejected in certain circumstances.
This Policy may be reviewed and amended from time to time. We will communicate such changes along with the updated Policy on the School website (www.igbis.edu.my), and/or other appropriate communication means as may be determined by IGB International School. Parents and students are advised to visit the School website on a regular basis to check for any updates or changes to this Notice.